MPFL Repair/VMO Reefing: Post-Operative Visit Objectives
- Review the operative findings, procedures and photos.
- Make sure medications are effective and not causing problems.
- Anti-inflammatory-you can take the anti-inflammatory of your choice for 2-3 weeks after surgery to help minimize soreness, aching and swelling. We can prescribe Relafen 750mg twice per day. You may also use Aleve, Ibuprofen, or Celebrex. If you have any problems, allergies, or stomach intolerance stop taking these medicine!
- Pain: Vicodin is for pain. This excellent pain reliever is a narcotic plus Tylenol. You may take 1 or 2 tablets every 6 hours as necessary. Due to our protocol of local anesthesia some patients don’t require the use of Vicodin…in those circumstances just use Tylenol extra-strength, 1 or 2 tablets every 6 hours.
- Wound Care:
- During your first clinic visit we will change your dressings. If it is appropriate we will cover your wounds with a plastic covering called Tegaderm. This will allow you to shower immediately. No baths or swimming until the bandages are removed.
You will be partial weight-bearing (half your weight) with crutches for 3 weeks
- Exercises and Physical Therapy
- Wear a special brace for 6 weeks at all times.
- Physical therapy will start 2 weeks after surgery to allow incisions to heal
- Once therapy starts, range of motion of the knee will be 0-60 degrees initially then will progress to 90 degrees as tolerated.
- Follow Up appointments
- Schedule Follow up visits in approximately 7-10 days for Suture removal. The next appointment to follow will be at 5 weeks.
- Notes etc:
- Make sure you have all necessary notes and documentation for school or work.